April 24, 2012

T's postcards - 110

Alaska is the Biggest State
- 19 Mountains over 14,000 ft
- Highest point in North America, Mt McKinley (Denali) 20,320 ft
- More area than the 26 smallest states
- Purchased from Russia in 1867 for less than 2ȼ an acre
- Longest days, 24 hours of daylight
- Longest nights, 24 hours of night
- More than 3 million lakes, larger than 25 acres
- 586,400 square miles
- 1/5 the land mass of the entire continental US
- More than two times the size of Texas
- 29 active volcanoes, half the world's totalȼ
- More coastline than the lower 48 states, 33,000 miles
- More than 1/2 of the world's glaciers
- One glacier larger than Switzerland

Well, I learned something. I would have said Hawaii had more volcanoes than Alaska. In fact, I'm not sure I would have even said Alaska had volcanoes. Well, apparently Hawaii is down to 2, that's right - 2, active volcanoes. Super active, but only 2. Well, I guess that shows what I know!

3 comments:

Steffi said...

I like it very much to see your postcards. I hope you put online yet more postcards!
I've also created a postcard blog, but unfortunately he is still very young. * gg *

Greetings and Happy writing!

Steffi
http://world-of-postcards.blogspot.de/

Anonymous said...

¡Participe en el intercambio de los recuerdos y las tarjetas de todo el mundo!

http://intpostage.com/es

Beth Niquette said...

How interesting! So many wonderful facts--I learned something new today. (grin)